Monday, June 4, 2018

Why Does God Love Us?

We know God loves us from His Word to us in the New Testament, through who Jesus is and what He revealed to us about the Father in Heaven. We know God loves us despite our sinfulness and rebellious spirits.
  With age-old love I have loved you; so I have kept my mercy toward you. Jeremiah 31:3
  Yes, God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him may not die but may have eternal life. John 3:16
  But have you ever thought about why God loves us? Or why He loves us unconditionally; despite our sinfulness and lack of love for Him and obedience to Him?
  I think having a child helps us to better understand God's love for us. I have four children. I love each of them unconditionally. I love them not for what they do, but for who they are. Yes, I am more pleased with the behavior of some. It makes me happy if they are good people: good citizens; faithful husbands and wives; respectful to me and their father; good workers; faithful to God. But I do not love them any more or less if they are not.
  I love them because they are my children. They are a part of me. They are bonded with me through blood. Nothing they do or don't do will ever change that.
  You may say: "But not all parents love their children like that. Many parents favor one child over another or love a child in relation to who they are or what they do." God knows that and He addressed that in His Word:
  Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget my own. Isaiah 49:15
  So the fact that a mother or father may fail to love their child unconditionally, or even abandon their child, does not mean that God is like that.
  So, if you are a child of God, if you are baptized in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, rejoice today in the unconditional love of God for you.
  And if you are not, then know that God loves you because you are His marvelous creation. He is calling you to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and be baptized so you can enjoy all the blessings of being a child of God and eternal life with Him after you die.

No comments:

Post a Comment