Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Every Day is Thanksgiving

In the United States we just celebrated our yearly Thanksgiving holiday, dedicated to thanking God for the many blessings He has given to us, our families, and our country. But Thanksgiving should not be just one day a year. Every day we have many things to be thankful for.
  Many years ago my spiritual director suggested I keep a "thanksgiving" journal to record the blessings I and my family have received. I now have several journals filled with the good things that have happened; healings, births, holidays; even some miracles. I also record ordinary happenings like a sunny day at the beach with family, a dinner out, the beautiful Fall foliage, my flower garden in summer.
  I don't write in it every day, but usually once or twice a week (I do thank God every day in my evening prayers).  It helps to keep my mind focused on looking for God's blessings and the good things in my life.
  It's also helpful to look back on when times of sadness, sorrow or depression come. It lifts my spirits to be reminded of all the blessings I and my family have received.
  Everyone has something to be thankful for--the gift of life; food, clothing, a place to live; eyes to see, ears to hear; the ability to walk, to work; good health; the gift of faith.
  If you would like to start a "Thanksgiving" journal, you can purchase empty journals online, at any bookstore or stationer, or even at Walmart. They come with blank lined pages. Be sure to write the year at the beginning of the journal and date each page. The entries don't have to be long or wordy--a line or two will suffice. Just enough to jog your memory. And don't forget to thank God for each and every blessing you record.


  Thank you Jesus, for the graces and gifts of this day.  Mother Angelica

No comments:

Post a Comment