Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Whatever you did to the least of my brothers...

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me. I was ill and you comforted me, in prison and you came to visit me. Matthew 25:35-36.
I have read these words of Jesus many times. Each time I would question myself to see if I am doing any of these works of mercy. When I read a fleshing out of these works, it helped me to expand my understanding of ways to serve Jesus through serving others. The first are spiritual works of mercy: instructing, advising, consoling, comforting; forgiving, bearing wrongs patiently. Second are corporal works of mercy: feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and imprisoned, burying the dead, giving to the poor. When I look at it in those ways, it helps me see what I am already doing, as well as other ways I can serve Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment